Security & developer:
- Solaris 10, OS X, iOS, Windows XP (and once upon a time - AIX & Multics)
- mostly C, ksh, Oracle SQL*Plus, but sometimes (dis-)assembler.
Post with 1 note
I just upgraded to iOS6 and most everything looked ok, except for my podcasts. I even like the Maps app better than Google’s Maps.
The problem is Apple’s new Podcasts app (white icon on purple background). I downloaded it under iOS5 (it didn’t do anything unpleasant to me then, but I saw no reason to use it, so it just sat there), so I don’t know whether you have to download it yourself, or if Apple will download it for you as part of iOS6 if you don’t already have it.
Anyway, if you have the Podcasts app on your iPhone, then all of your podcasts will ONLY be playable from the Podcasts app and not from the Music app - it will tell you this when you open the Music app (you might not see the warning if you don’t have any podcasts). This would be ok if my podcast playlists also moved over to the Podcasts app.
The podcast playlists are left behind in your Music app with nothing in them (remember, the podcasts moved over to the Podcasts app). The only way to play your podcasts is by picking the podcasts, and then picking the episode; like the way you might pick the music you want to listen to - pick the artist, then pick the album.
Fortunately, there is a way to get your playlists back.
1. Delete the Podcasts app from the iPhone. It will warn you that it will also delete your media; don’t worry - it’s only deleting links to the media. Your podcasts are safe.
2. Stop the Music app. Do this by starting the Music app, then close it, then open the multi-tasking bar (double-click the Home button), and delete the Music app icon (it will be the first one).
3. Restart the iPhone by holding the Home button and Sleep button until you see the silver apple logo. In iOS5, you would see a screen with a slider to turn the phone off, then a black screen, and finally the silver apple logo; in iOS6, you just see the black screen and the logo.
Your podcasts will now be back in the Music app in the playlists where they were before you upgraded to iOS6. Whew!